Directions & Parking
You may have noticed some changes around Simmons PMT. Don't skip this information on parking changes for the 2014-2015 season!
Football Game Conflicts for 2014
Pioneer Theatre Company is located on the University of Utah campus, right across the street from Rice-Eccles Football stadium. As anyone who has ever tried to drive or park on the University campus knows, it can be confusing to figure out where Visitor Parking is.
The good news is that University parking for PTC performances is FREE, and there is a fair amount of it within a two-block distance of Simmons PMT. This is better than parking for most downtown events.
We are also located near Stadium Station on the University Line of TRAX light rail, which serves Salt Lake County all the way from Sandy to Daybreak, and even connects to the FrontRunner going north to Odgen and south to Provo.
We advise most patrons to park in the Rice-Eccles Stadium parking lot, which is a one-block walk from the theatre. Patrons who park in this lot should walk through the tunnel which passes under South Campus Drive (400 South) and takes them directly to the sidewalk leading to Simmons PMT. The tunnel is located in the northeast corner of the Rice-Eccles lot
The Rice-Eccles lot is only a one-block walk from the theatre, but we recognize that patrons may have difficulty making that walk, particularly during the inclement weather of the winter months. To assist such patrons, PTC will be running a courtesy van shuttle back and forth between the parking lot and the theatre continuously beginning one hour before the beginning of the show. The van will be available to take patrons back to their cars immediately following the performance.
The courtesy van will pick up patrons at the North-East corner of the Rice-Eccles lot.
Additional information on parking during the 2014-2015 Season
The University of Utah broke ground on the new Quinney Law School building this summer, and the construction will occur through early 2015. Since the new Law School is being built partially on the parking lot adjacent to Simmons PMT, the Law School construction will continue to have a significant impact on PTC parking over the upcoming months.
During the 18-month construction phase of the Law School project, parking in the two lots immediately adjacent to PTC will be severely limited. In the lower lot adjacent to PTC, only the five parking rows closest to the theatre will be open for parking. This parking will be reserved for two groups: Patrons with Handicapped Parking tags and members of the theatre’s Director’s Club donors. The upper lot adjacent to the theatre will be open, but parking there will be shared between University faculty, staff and students, Fieldhouse users, and PTC patrons. There is likely to be less available parking in this lot as a result of the Law School construction project.
If you are attending a performance on one of these dates, please know that parking may be complicated and plan accordingly. We encourage patrons to carpool and take TRAX on these dates. you may also inquire at the Box Office about transferring your tickets to another day.
- The Saturday, September 27 6:00 p.m. game with Washington State, which conflicts with the final Saturday performances of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.
- The Saturday, October 25 8:00 p.m. game with USC conflicts with the final two performances of The Rocky Horror Show concert.
- The Saturday, November 8 game 8:00 p.m. with Oregon, which conflicts with the second Saturday performances of One Man, Two Guvnors.
- Thursday and Friday, November 13-14 there will be high school football playoffs at Rice-Eccles Stadium which will conflict with performances of One Man, Two Guvnors.
Parking Options within a Two-Block Radius
There are other parking options within a two-block walk of the theatre, all of which are free. They include:
- FREE street parking on University Street to the west of Simmons PMT is available after 6 pm.
- A small parking lot has been added just off President’s Circle, directly to the north of the theatre, only a few hundred yards away. Enter from President's Circle.
- The parking lot immediately to the north of the Fieldhouse—accessed by turning north at the traffic light on South Campus Drive just to the east of Rice-Eccles Stadium—contains 120 parking spots, and is a short half block walk from the theatre. This parking lot offers the advantage of allowing you to turn east on South Campus Drive when you leave after a performance.
Driving directions to PTC
- From Southeast, Salt Lake County — Take I-215 East to the Foothill Drive off-ramp. Follow Foothill Drive nearly four miles to 1300 East, turn right, proceed one block to 400 South and turn right. Get in the left hand lane and go one and a half blocks to the Simmons Pioneer Memorial Theatre parking lot, which will be on your left. Overflow parking is in the stadium to your right.
- From South/Southwest, Salt Lake County — Take I-15 North to the 600 South off ramp. Take 600 South until 500 East, and turn left on 500 East. Go two blocks to 400 South and turn right on 400 South (which turns into 500 South). Take 500 South until 1300 East, then turn left on 1300 East. Proceed one block to 400 South. Turn right on 400 South. Get in the left hand lane and go one and a half blocks to the Simmons Pioneer Memorial Theatre parking lot, which will be on your left. Overflow parking is in the stadium to your right.
- From Davis or Weber Counties — Take I-15 South to the Salt Lake City 400 South off ramp. Take 400 South (which turns into 500 South) to 1300 East, then turn left. Proceed one block to 400 South. Turn right on 400 South. Get in the left hand lane and go one and a half blocks to the Simmons Pioneer Memorial Theatre parking lot, which will be on your left. Overflow parking is in the stadium to your right.
Take TRAX and leave your car behind:
Take the University Line to Stadium Station; there is a stop in our overflow parking lot. TRAX also gives you access to more than 50 restaurants.
Check TRAX Schedules
View TRAX Map