Parking and Directions
Pioneer Theatre Company is located on the University of Utah campus, right across the street from Rice-Eccles Football stadium.
The last football game that affects our patron parking in 2018 is Saturday, November 10, 2018 (Sweeney Todd). If you have tickets for this performance, matinee or evening, please consider taking public transportation, Lyft/Uber or carpooling.
University parking for PTC performances is FREE, and there is a fair amount of it within a two-block distance of Simmons PMT. You will enjoy better parking than you receive at most downtown events, and you don’t have to pay for it.
- The 12 hour reserved parking stalls, the ones that are reserved until 8 pm, ARE AVAILABLE to PTC patrons during performances. Holders of those permits know those spots will not be held for them during PTC performances.
- The 24 hour reserved spots ARE NOT available.
- The lot to the north of the old Field House is available to PTC patrons at no cost.
We advise most patrons to park in the Rice-Eccles Stadium parking lot, which is a one-block walk from the theatre. Patrons who park in this lot should walk through the tunnel which passes under South Campus Drive (400 South) and takes them directly to the sidewalk leading to Simmons PMT. The tunnel is located in the northeast corner of the Rice-Eccles lot.
Take TRAX and leave your car behind. We are also located near Stadium Station on the University Line of TRAX light rail, which serves Salt Lake County all the way from Sandy to Daybreak, and even connects to the FrontRunner going north to Odgen and south to Provo.
The maps below show other available parking, for both stage productions at Simmons Pioneer Memorial theatre and Play-by-Play productions at UMFA:
Parking Options within a Two-Block Radius
There are other parking options within a two-block walk of the theatre, all of which are free. They include:
- Some FREE street parking on University Street to the west of Simmons PMT is available. Please see parking signs for details.
- The parking lot immediately to the north of the Fieldhouse—accessed by turning north at the traffic light on South Campus Drive just to the east of Rice-Eccles Stadium—contains 120 parking spots, and is a short half block walk from the theatre. This parking lot offers the advantage of allowing you to turn east on South Campus Drive when you leave after a performance.
Driving directions to PTC
- From Southeast, Salt Lake County — Take I-215 East to the Foothill Drive off-ramp. Follow Foothill Drive nearly four miles to 1300 East, turn right, proceed one block to 400 South and turn right. Get in the left hand lane and go one and a half blocks to the Simmons Pioneer Memorial Theatre parking lot, which will be on your left. Overflow parking is in the stadium to your right.
- From South/Southwest, Salt Lake County — Take I-15 North to the 600 South off ramp. Take 600 South until 500 East, and turn left on 500 East. Go two blocks to 400 South and turn right on 400 South (which turns into 500 South). Take 500 South until 1300 East, then turn left on 1300 East. Proceed one block to 400 South. Turn right on 400 South. Get in the left hand lane and go one and a half blocks to the Simmons Pioneer Memorial Theatre parking lot, which will be on your left. Overflow parking is in the stadium to your right.
- From Davis or Weber Counties — Take I-15 South to the Salt Lake City 400 South off ramp. Take 400 South (which turns into 500 South) to 1300 East, then turn left. Proceed one block to 400 South. Turn right on 400 South. Get in the left hand lane and go one and a half blocks to the Simmons Pioneer Memorial Theatre parking lot, which will be on your left. Overflow parking is in the stadium to your right.
January’s Play-by-Play production in 2019 will be held at UMFA, the Utah Museum of Fine Arts located on the University of Utah campus. The Central Garage is located east of UMFA, and parking is for Play-by-Play attendees.
October 2018 and April 2019 Play-by-Play productions will be held in the Babcock Theatre, in the lower level of Simmons Pioneer Memorial Theatre.